Custom Engraving FAQ
Items that are good candidates, will show a custom engraving option
- The main requirement is enough room to put the artwork.
- Laser engraving burns text, or an image into the wood.
- Contrast, and all around look, are best on lighter color woods.
- Engraving very dark wood is not recommended.
- A tech will contact you for your approval of the artwork, before any engraving is done.
Engraving is possible for text, as well as images
- So far as the number of text characters go, 10-15 is ideal. A sentence simply will not fit on a pen body. Initials are a popular way to accomplish this on a pen.
- The fewer characters, the larger the letters can be.
- You may pick a font from the featured 15 examples. These fonts are proven good choices for engraving on pens and stands.
- You may specify a different font.
- If you are up for a nauseating number of fonts to choose from, there are many websites that distribute them. www.dafont.com and www.1001fonts.com are recommended.
- To convey a website font choice for engraving, type the particular font name into the text box which appears when you choose "a different font" from the drop down menu.
- You may also copy and paste that particular font URL into that text box.
- You may also use the "send" or "share" feature on your device, to send a chosen website font URL to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to add a note as to figure out what it is for.
- Please do not send the actual font file as an attachment; copy and paste, or share the URL.
- Avoid fonts which are very thin, light, or with a lot of detail.
- Most fonts engrave beautifully, but try to be realistic in your choice.
- When applicable, a product page will have the option to upload custom artwork.
- So far as pens go; remember, your picture is going on a pen body. Too much detail will not scale down well.
- For pen stands; the engravable area varies per item.
- A nicely drawn signature - with a magic marker, is a good suggestion.
- Avoid shaded artwork, it will be necessarily converted to black and white.
- Here are two printable templates you may use to make adding your own hand drawn artwork easy.
- Download a template, print, draw, and take a picture (or scan).
We offer free engraving for "kid art". If a kid draws the picture, we will cheerfully engrave it, on us.
My (real) example: